Photo of the Week
In an attempt to be more consistent with my blog updates, I have decided to add a photo of the week...
This photo was taken at a Monk Chat that I attended at the Three Kings Monument in Chiang Mai this week. I learned about the life of a monk as well as meditation and basic Buddhism beliefs.
- The different colored robes that Monks wear signify what Wat they live at
- You cannot physically tell the different between a novice and a Monk, except that a novice is usually younger than 20 years old
- A Monks physical exercise involves sweeping and a lot of walking
- The Buddha's image is shown in different postures to represent an act in the Buddha's life
- It is possible for a foreigner to become a Buddhist Monk, as Monkhood is open to men (only) of all races, nationalities and even religious backgrounds.
- The shaving of a Monk's eyebrows is unique to the Thai's.