Top 10 Foods: Singapore
A lot of you have asked, "What is the best thing you have tried so far?" Well, that is tough, because Singapore is a food lovers dream! It was difficult to narrow it down, but here are my top 10 dishes, in no particular order...
1. Char Kway Teow- An awesome noodle dish with a sinful sauce. The two different noodles are stir fried in PORK FAT which is likely why it tastes so yummy. Tossed together with bean sprouts, egg, sausage, soy, and chili, I like mine topped with prawns. It is a lot like the Chow Fun you order in America, but much more decadent.
2. Nasi Lemak- It is to die for. A delicious and fragrant coconut rice topped with creamy red curry chicken. I had an excellent version of this very popular dish at Grandma's at Raffles City Center. Practically liked the plate clean. This is one that I will dream about.
3. Curry puffs with chicken and egg- Oh, Curry Puff! How I love thee!!!! The flaky, crispy dough is my favorite part, but the oh so sweet and savory curry filling adds a perfect balance. The hard boiled egg gives a little extra texture, and is absolute heaven.
4. Kaya Toast, with Soft Boiled Egg and Kopi- If you have been following me at ALL, then you know that I am a little more than slightly obsessed with this dish. It is the perfect breakfast. The sweet kaya, with crunchy toast dipped in the barely cooked egg covered with soy, is a real treat. The Kopi Coffee is insanely good. They fix it up with a spoonful of sweetened condensed milk. I pretty much had this dish at least once a day.
5.Mutton Murtabak- A pan fried dough that is filled with mutton, onion, garlic and egg. To me, it tastes like an Arab version of a Philly cheesesteak. Zam Zam, near the Sultans palace makes a legit version of this dish.
6. Roti Prata- The South Indian version of Naan bread, may be even better than its Northern counterpart! The soft, dough can be plain and dipped in curries, or can be filled with all sorts of yummies. I absolutely adore the plain version. It tastes awesome with everything.
7. Grilled Stingray- Now this one was a surprise. I have never heard of eating stingray before, but it is divine! It is gently grilled and topped with a spicy savory sauce. Yum!
8. Carrot Cake (black)- Even though there are NO carrots in the carrot cake, this savory pan fried dish is so rich and sinful, that is it totally ok that it is savory and not sweet. I prefer the black version, with the sticky dark soy keeping the "cake" together.
9. Chicken Rice- There is no question that the Tian Tian Chicken Rice trumps everyone else's version. I was lucky enough to get there when there was no line! Usually the wait is at least 45 minutes. The steamed chicken is juicy and fragrant, and the accompanying rice toothy and perfect.
10. Honey Prawns- Sticky, sweet, and spicy, these prawns were killer! Of course, its a messy ordeal, but well well worth the effort!